The UH DDI Research for UnderGrads (UH-DRUG) Summer Program
The UH DDI Research for Undergrads (UH-DRUG) Summer Program provides transdisciplinary summer research experience focused on drug discovery and development and translatable skills that prepare participants for future careers in biomedical research. Up to five fellowships will be awarded to rising UH sophomores, juniors and seniors to participate in a focused, full- time, 10-week research experience (May 30 – August 4, 2023) under the direction of a UH DDI faculty mentor. Participants will receive a $6,000 stipend.
In addition to submitting this application form, a letter of recommendation from your faculty mentor must be submitted to UH-DRUG program director Ruiwen Zhang at firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.
|Applications Open||Tuesday, February 1, 2023|
|Application and Recommendation Letter Deadline||Friday, March 31, 2023|
|Applicants Notified||April, 2023|
|Program Start||Tuesday, May 30, 2023|
|Program End||Friday, August 4, 2023|
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- UH undergraduate students must be classified as a rising sophomores, juniors, or seniors when the program begins.
- Students enrolled in any graduate or professional program are not eligible.
- All DDI Faculty are eligible to mentor a UH DRUG Summer Program student.
Students must submit the complete application as a single PDF named “[Applicant name] UH-DRUG 2023” to UH-DRUG program director Ruiwen Zhang at email@example.com by Friday, March 31, 2023. A complete application includes:
- Statement of Research objectives and goals not to exceed 500 words (including references)
- Description of prior research experience (500 words max
- Name of the UH faculty mentor who will be providing a letter of recommendation (This is the faculty member who the student is applying to conduct research with).
- Updated CV or Resume.
- Official or Unofficial Transcript(s). Please provide a current transcript.
- All fields in the application below completed, unless denoted as optional.
- One Recommendation Letter sent from the faculty mentor directly to firstname.lastname@example.org from the reference person. Please title the email as “[Applicant name] UH-DRUG 2023
The statement of research should:
- Be composed in consultation with the faculty mentor.
- Discuss the relative importance of the proposed research and how it relates to drug discovery and development.
- State the specific tasks to be accomplished during the summer program.
- Define the scope and goals of the proposed research.
The UH faculty mentor letter of recommendation should:
- Describe the student’s qualifications.
- Identify the area of research in which the mentor will engage the student.
- Describe the faculty member’s role as mentor to the student, including a description of how the proposed research related to their on-going research.
- Be emailed to email@example.com by the application deadline.
Working with Human Subjects: If your research proposal includes working with human subjects, then you must receive approval from the University's Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to initiating your research. Please reference the University's IRB policy before submitting your research proposal.
- Full-time participation in 10-week program.
- It is assumed that students will not take a summer course.
- Participate in UH DRUG programming.
- Complete online survey, which is due on August 4th.
- Present an oral presentation at the End of Summer Celebration.
All materials, except the recommendation letter, should be emailed as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org from the applicant.
The recommendation letter, with the official letterhead and signature, should be sent directly from the reference person to email@example.com.
For any additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.